Cnews on System V/AT: "expression causes compiler loop"

Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard jay at splut.conmicro.com
Sun Nov 19 07:37:12 AEST 1989

I'm trying to install C news, at the patchlevel 7/13 Nov 1989 level, on
my System V/AT 2.4 system. Trying to compile relay/hdrdefs.c, I get:

cc -I../include -I. -DVOID=int -DFLUSHEVERY=6 -O -c hdrdefs.c
"hdrdefs.c", line 49: compiler error: expression causes compiler loop:
try simplifying

I just tried it by hand, without the -O, and got the same error.

The relevant code is:
#ifndef offsetof
#define offsetof(type, mem) ((char *)&((type *)NULL)->mem - (char *)NULL)
#endif

static const char msgnm[] =	"Message-ID:";	/* for rejection */

static const struct hdrdef msghdr = {
	msgnm, STRLEN(msgnm), offsetof(struct headers, h_msgid) };

...with the last line being the one the compiler complains about.

Any ideas about how to simplify this one? Am I the only person to run
into this?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay at splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.