Fast file scan

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Sat Oct 6 04:30:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct2.041451.3929 at blilly.UUCP> bruce at balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) writes:
>In article <299 at lysator.liu.se> pen at lysator.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) writes:
>>(Using the find+fgrep combination is slooooow....)
>find . -print | xargs fgrep string

Hello?  Anybody home?

Fgrep means Fixed, egrep means Exponential (like in Exponentially faster)!
If you care one tiny bit about the speed you'll only use fgrep when you
have to.  Now can we stop discussing the fastest way to use fgrep?

This lesson is a review for those that didn't believe it the first time.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif at doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif