Zmodem with 7 bit transmission

Tin Le tin at smsc.sony.com
Wed Oct 17 05:14:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct16.064742.20502 at cs.cmu.edu> climan+ at cs.cmu.edu (Dani Climan) writes:
>Does anyone have a Unix version of zmodem that supports 7 bit transmission?
>The local network which I use to access the university's computers uses
>a 7 bit even parity protocol.  The only file transfer protocol that I
>have found that works is kermit.  My PC documentation for zmodem (DSZ.EXE)
>specifically refers to two flags (-E, -P) that use 7 bit transmission.
                                   ^^^^^^

   Try lower case, i.e. -e.  Here's the output from executing 'sz -h'
[musbus] rn31 460 >sz -h
Send file(s) with ZMODEM/YMODEM/XMODEM Protocol
        (Y) = Option applies to YMODEM only
        (Z) = Option applies to ZMODEM only
Usage:  sz [-2+abdefkLlNnquvwYy] [-] file ...
        sz [-2Ceqv] -c COMMAND
        sb [-2adfkquv] [-] file ...
        sx [-2akquv] [-] file
        2   Use 2 stop bits
        +   Append to existing destination file (Z)
        a   (ASCII) change NL to CR/LF
        b   Binary file transfer override
        c   send COMMAND (Z)
        d   Change '.' to '/' in pathnames (Y/Z)
        f   send Full pathname (Y/Z)
        i   send COMMAND, ack Immediately (Z)
        k   Send 1024 byte packets (Y)
        L N Limit subpacket length to N bytes (Z)
        l N Limit frame length to N bytes (l>=L) (Z)
        n   send file only if source newer (Z)
        N   send file only if source newer or longer (Z)
        o   Use 16 bit CRC instead of 32 bit CRC (Z)
        p   Protect existing destination file (Z)
        r   Resume/Recover interrupted file transfer (Z)
        q   Quiet (no progress reports)
        u   Unlink (remove) file after transmission
        v   Verbose - provide debugging information
        w N restrict Window to N bytes (Z)
        Y   Yes, overwrite existing file, skip if not present at rx (Z)
        y   Yes, overwrite existing file (Z)
        Z   Activate ZMODEM compression(Z)
sz 3.07 2-02-90 for SYS III/V by Chuck Forsberg, Omen Technology INC
                "The High Reliability Software"

>However, the unix docs do not discuss this feature and all attempts to
>get it to work have failed.  I have checked rzsz0525.zoo and rzszv307.zoo.
>Is there a more recent version or a different one that supports the PC
>7 bit feature?  Does anyone have any experience getting this to work?
>Is there an alternative protocol that supports 7 bit transmission on both
>a PC and a Unix system that I can substitute?

Zmodem has supported the -e option for as long as I've used it.  You need
to use the -e on the transport side, i.e. with 'sz -e' and not with rz.

-- Tin

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin at smsc.Sony.COM