Is there a program like telnet, but driven by a script?

Edward Vielmetti emv at math.lsa.umich.edu
Sun Oct 7 05:07:34 AEST 1990

In article <26797 at fmsrl7.UUCP> hugh at slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:

   I need to duplicate UNIX-to-UNIX rsh functionality going UNIX-to-VMS.
   I am running a Sun Sparcstation and can communicate with the VAX using
   telnet and ftp via an ULTRIX gateway (the VAX only runs DECNET). One
   solution to my problem would be a telnet-like program which accepts a
   script containing expect/send pairs much like UUCP and some PC
   communications programs. Does such a program exist?

See "expect" from Don Libes, ftp'able from durer.cme.nist.gov.  An extract
from the man page:

     expect is a program that "talks" to other  interactive  pro-
     grams  according  to a script.  Following the script, expect
     knows what can be expected  from  a  program  and  what  the
     correct  response  should  be.  An interpreted language pro-
     vides branching and high-level control structures to  direct
     the  dialogue.   In  addition, the user can take control and
     interact directly when desired, afterward returning  control
     to the script.

Since this is a program which isn't necessarily related to tcp/ip, please
follow up to comp.unix.misc.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv at math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives