EBCDIC <--> ASCII conversion

Jerry Heyman zebr360 at emx.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:49:23 AEST 1990

In article <1756 at dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren at dinl.UUCP (Charles Noren) writes:
>We are communicating between Sun 3 (with SunOS 4.0.3) and an
>IBM Mainframe (don't know the model, we're not IBM jocks)
>via TCP/IP.  Our question, is there any program in Netland
>that converts back and forth between EBCDIC and ASCII
>(preferrably in C, but we will take any example)?

Why would you be looking for such a program?  I have an IBM RT on my desk
(and access to a Risc System/6000) which is ASCII based, and use 'ftp' from
our VM host all day.  I don't even think about doing a conversion of the
files as that is taken care of automatically.  If you're really paranoid
about it, then you can as another poster suggested, use dd.

>Thanks,
>
> Chuck Noren

I think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

jerry