Protection from "rm *"

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Wed Oct 17 10:43:56 AEST 1990

jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
>>With any luck, that botch is fixed in S5R4.

>OK...I give up. Why is not being able to remove a program in use a botch?

  I can remove a link to an file that some process has opened with the open()
(or creat()) syscall; the file blocks and its inode continue to remain on
the disk unharmed even after the last link is removed.  Yet I can't remove
a link to an inode that just happens to include an executing progam.
Why should these two cases be any different?
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Cancelling a posted message means posting a cancel message."-Maarten Litmaath