What Dan really wants for comp.unix

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Fri Oct 5 01:27:55 AEST 1990

In article <21619:Oct321:09:0990 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

| You're absolutely right. There should never be a general group (except
| perhaps .misc to handle spillover) when more specific groups are
| available. The current comp.unix hierarchy disobeys this rule. That's
| why it's so confusing.

  If you think that's why it's confusing, you're confused. But I agree
that the group should go. The reorganization provided the misc group,
let's clean up the remnants.

        [ ... lots of stuff, most of which I don't accept ... ]

| Anyone who wants to bring back ``the old unix-wizards'' should realize
| that the old unix-wizards has been dead for a few years. The group has
| been a mishmash of discussions, mostly like comp.unix.programmer, some
| like comp.unix.kernel/shell/futures. To revive the past you must start
| from a clean slate.

  Thank you for saying it. wizards was going downhill since the last
renaming (remember net and mod, folks?) and with the renaming and
addition of a group particularly for kernel stuff, perhaps we could
discuss unix instead of news groups.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.