Protection from "rm *"

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Sep 29 22:02:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep29.043909.2577 at smsc.sony.com> dce at smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <853 at agcsun.UUCP> jackm at agcsun.UUCP () writes:
>>I don't like aliasing rm to a shell that copies things to a ".deleted"
>>directory, so don't tell me about those.
>
>Me neither.  I also don't like aliasing rm to "rm -i".

>From your posts, it sound like you guys want to go back to the old V6 and
possibly PWB shell days where an rm with a "match" character (either * or ?)
would result in a [glob confirm] msg.  For example:

	% ls
	Makefile
	test
	test.c
	test.o
	% rm * .o
	Makefile test test.c test.o .o
	[glob confirm]

And you would have to type a y to really remove the files.  This would
protect you from the problem.

When we upgraded to a System III machine, our users had all kinds of problems
when this "feature" went away.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170