booting a new kernel remotely

Gary Mills mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Sun Sep 30 01:33:37 AEST 1990

Does anyone know of a nice way to boot a new kernel when logged in via
a dial-up line?  When I do it from the console, I do a `shutdown +5',
and when it comes down to single-user mode, I do a couple of syncs, hit
break to get to the monitor, and do a `b vmunix.new -s'.  When it comes
up, I rename the kernel, and hit ^D to go to multi-user mode.  The machine
is down for less than five minutes.  This is under SunOS 4.1.  When I'm
dialed in, `shutdown -r +5' does not work once I have renamed
/vmunix.new to /vmunix.  I can use `reboot', but it doesn't give the
warning messages to the users.  Also, the boot checks all the disks, so
the machine is down for about twenty minutes.  How do other people do this?
--
-Gary Mills-             -University of Manitoba-             -Winnipeg-