Soviet Unix User Group

Edward Vielmetti emv at math.lsa.umich.edu
Fri Sep 21 10:16:59 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep20.205451.29419 at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> david at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson) writes:

   The first project for DEMOS is to get their domain properly registered,
   that or stop using "hq.demos.su" in the From: and Reply headers.

It's an OK domain in Europe:

urania ~ % dig mx @mcsun.eu.net hq.demos.su

;; ANSWERS:
hq.demos.su.    86400   IN      MX      100 mcsun.eu.net.
hq.demos.su.    86400   IN      MX      200 uunet.uu.net.

and it looks like there's international root servers for the .su
domain:

urania ~ % dig ns @mcsun.eu.net su.

;; ANSWERS:
su.     86400   IN      NS      mcsun.eu.net.
su.     86400   IN      NS      sunic.sunet.se.
su.     86400   IN      NS      uunet.uu.net.
su.     86400   IN      NS      brouilly.inria.fr.
su.     86400   IN      NS      munnari.oz.au.

su.     86400   IN      SOA     mcsun.eu.net.  hostmaster.mcsun.eu.net.

So I'd attribute the problems to slowness in getting this information
into the USA root servers, including ns.nasa.gov, ns.nic.ddn.mil.

As I understand it some USA networks have explicit provisions that
they not be connected to "Eastern bloc" networks; I don't know if
international concerns like that are the reason here or whether it's
simply a matter of time before the update makes it in.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv at math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives