OS costs

Michael Hart hart at blackjack.dt.navy.mil
Wed Sep 19 20:57:43 AEST 1990

In <1990Sep16.224644.28322 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

>david at twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>[tracing back a couple levels]
>Speaking of Berkeley, could someone (David, perhaps, since you said it?:-)

> [stuff obviously deleted]..........

>explain why it would be desirable to free the code from Berkeley licensing?
>The BSD license is about as cheap and un-restrictive as they come; it's the
>next best thing to PD.  Where possible, they've released pieces of code that
>aren't subject to AT&T license; in any case, you get the code with little
>more than a charge for media/copying, and a license that says little more
>than "leave our copyright on, acknowledge us, don't hold us responsible,
>now go have fun with it."  If CMU is trying to make a system generally
>available, I think they'd be foolish to be at cross purposes with Berkeley.
>--
>Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
>   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

I'm a relative newcomer to this wonderful, weird thing called Unix(tm):-)

Do I read the above correctly re: BSD licenses?  Can anyone (or almost anyone)
get a BSD license for source code?  I thought it was much more restrictive.

Anyone have the straight poop on this, and care to share it???

Michael G. Hart   hart at blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart at dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.