Zilog System 8000 info wanted

Bill Freeman f at Alliant.COM
Sat Feb 9 04:12:30 AEST 1991

I would like to get in touch with (E-mail or telephone, please do not post,
if you want the same info let me know and I will forward) folks with experience
with the Zilog System 8000 as a system adminstrator, maintenance person,
driver writer, design engingeer or programmer (fat chance, I know), and/or
other kind of guru.  (The System 8000 is a Z8000 based box running a system
III varient called ZEUS (Zilog Extended Unix System).  It runs and for $75
I can't go wrong even if I never find out more.)

The kind of information I am looking for is:

	Is there any way to used unformated cartridges in the tape drive?

	Can you get cu to run at 2400 baud (-s1200 works but it drops to
	its default of 300 baud with -s2400)?

	The meaning of the various settings of the drive type switches
	on the disk controller (that table is missing from the hardware
	reference manual)?
		and/or
	At least what the "no-default" switch settings are and the format
	of the drive parameter info?
		and/or
	Adding disks that Zilog didn't plan on?

	Is there a users group?

	Any luck getting:
		more complete controller info;
		schematics;
		driver and/or ROM source?

Thanks for the indulgence of the net.

	-Bill (508 486-1209)
...!{decvax!linus,mit-eddie}!alliant!f		Bill Freeman	KE1G
alliant!f at eddie.mit.edu		PP-SMEL