MINIX for Mac

Ray Fischer rfischer at Neon.Stanford.EDU
Sat Feb 2 08:24:27 AEST 1991

vince at cvs.rochester.edu (Vincent Ferrera) writes ...
>	Has anyone heard of or, better yet, used this supposedly UNIX-like

Yes, and Yes.

>	operating system for the Mac?  Does it have any advantages over the
>	standard Mac OS for things like real-time programming or directly
>	accessing hardware?  Does it allow you to make calls to Quickdraw

No it doesn't have any advantages.  It runs under the regular Mac OS
(Finder or Multi-) and within that provides a Unix v7 like environment
complete with C compiler, assembler, shell, tools, and complete source
code for everything but the compiler and assembler.  It provides
pre-emptive multitasking, two terminal windows, and other such features.

>	or other toolbox functions?  How hard would it be to convert a

Yes, I believe you can call the toolbox functions from programs written
under Minix.

>	THINK C program which makes heavy use of the Mac OS utilities to
>	run under MINIX?

Better off just running it under the Mac OS directly.

Ray Fischer
rfischer at cs.stanford.edu