Interprocess Communication / Multitasking

Dave Jones djones at megatest.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 10:49:44 AEST 1991

>From article <320 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US), by wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker):
) In article <mark.666469192 at typhoon.ucar.edu) bradfrd2 at ncar.ucar.edu (Mark Bradford) writes:
))
))Here's the project: a real time data ingestion and archival system,
))built from several multitasking and cooperating programs using
))They say that UNIX is "notoriously lacking" in the necessary
))constructs to do this multitasking
)
) UNIX lacks "lightweight processes," threads which execute within
) a single address space (alas) ...

Sun's "release 4" Unix, (an amalgam of BSD and ATT flavors), comes with
a lightweight process package. I've only looked at it long enough to
speculate, "I wouldn't have done it that way," but it may be just the
ticket for you. If you have a Sun workstation, say, "man lpw_create" to get
started.