Advise needed

Herman Verkade VERKADE at CTSS.CO.UK
Sun Feb 17 23:53:07 AEST 1991

I am thinking of changing my old IBM-clone to a Unix machine, since I never use
it with it's current MS-DOS. It's a 286 system with a Herculus-compatible
graphics card, 640K main memory and an 80Mb Seagate hard disk. I would like to
run some form of Unix, TCP/IP over Ethernet and SLIP, X windows, GCC, GC++ and
news. Could some kind people answer one or more of the following questions:

1) What Unix should I go for?
2) What sort of Ethernet board should I go for?
3) Can I run X windows on the Hercules board? (If not I'll only use it as a
   client).
4) If TCP/IP doesn't come with the Unix, where do I get it from?
5) Do I need more memory?
6) Is the machine actually up to anything of the above?

Please, reply by e-mail.

Thanks in advance