Norton Utilities vs. "the way things are"

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Tue Feb 19 05:12:35 AEST 1991

In article <465 at bria> uunet!bria!mike writes:

>I stated that I would like to see kernel support for file undeletion.

	The kernel (henceforth known as "the watermelon") is already
bloated enough because of features being banged into it. Implement file
undeletion in the application layer, and your life will be much easier.

	If you're going to hop up and down and be all "death to DOS"
fascist, don't turn around and contradict yourself by asking for another
"feeture" in UNIX. Real UNIX gurus never delete the wrong files, and
even if they did, they'd just fix it with fsdb.

mjr.