Altos binary format?

Jeff Smith jeffs at bcs800.UUCP
Fri Feb 1 07:30:14 AEST 1991

In <4649 at altos86.Altos.COM> ti at altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan) writes:

>You didn't mention which operating system release running on
>what Altos hardware.  Over the years, we have gone from XENIX III
>to XENIX V to UNIX V.3.1 and now UNIX V.3.2.  All this occurred
>on various hardware platforms from all proprietary to the
>current open-architecture systems.  We have also switched to
>straddling both the Motorola 68x and Intel 80x86 architectures
>to being an exclusive Intel-based company.

Oops!  The hardware is an Altos 486/20, and the o/s is Xenix version
3.1as0.  The reason for asking, is that I also have Xenix 2.2.1 (SCO)
on a 286 (the altos is a 186) and wanted to compile on the 286 and
run on the altos.  I have the option of generating straight 8086 code
from the 286's compiler, and was told that the majority of the 486's
o/s was only 8086 (not 186) code anyway.  Only thing is, when I get
the executables on the altos and try to run, I get a message that says

$ new.prog
Killed
$

but it's an 8086 executable from xenix 2.2.1 that should be (according
to SCO) in x.out format.  I just didn't know if Altos supported the
format, or had their own.

thanks
jeffs
--
Jeff Smith                  | #include <stdDisclaimer.h>
Brock Control Systems       | uucp: ...!gatech!emory!bcs800!jeffs
Technical Support           | bitnet: hadadax at gsuvm1.bitnet
                            | jiffy: length of time it takes me to solve
tel: +800 444 3070          |      your problem by killing your process.