Norton Utilities vs. "the way things are"

ac999321 ac999321 at umbc5.umbc.edu
Wed Feb 27 18:43:12 AEST 1991

>>>If you're an accountant, then do accounting, not programming.

Righto!  That's why centralized computing is such a good idea; keep complete
computer systems away from those who mung things up when someone from the DP
department isn't looking over their shoulder; a way to prevent headaches. :-)

>>You're right.  I'll do the accounting or whatever, and if something
>>about UNIX gets in my way, I'll go buy someone else's package to get it
>>out of my way.  Your disdain for my computing problems means that I
>>won't buy the package from you, since you obviously don't understand my
>>needs or care about them.

Proves that system "users" don't really know what they need or what is best
for them.  Refer to the Theory of Usermungetivity for more info on this.

>your needs _are_ important to me.  My job is to make sure that if something
>gets in your way, I remove it.  _I_ am the admin, _you_ are the end user.
>I will administer, you will use.  'Nuff said.

here here!

>>Retrieving a clobbered file is not, by definition, a job for a
>>sysadmin.  There's nothing privileged about it.  And people want to do
>I agree with this completely.  There should be the ability for a user
>to recover deleted files.  My point is that it should be a function of
>the kernel, and not an external kludge.

IHMO, it seems there already is an easy way to accomplish this; write a
shell script that banishes "deleted" files to a "wastbasket" directory and
make the user purge the wastebasket when his storage space is used up.