ancient RCS [bug|feature]?

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sat Feb 2 11:02:04 AEST 1991

tomm at voodoo.boeing.com (Tom Mackey) writes:

>    RCS/bugs,v  -->  bugs
>    co error, line 1201: Hashtable overflow
>    co aborted

>So how about it.... anyone else find this, how did you cope with
>it (we obviously have to split the ,v files, but what's the most
>nifty way), and have any other computer vendors enhanced RCS to
>deal with this?  We use Silicon Graphics equipment.

If you have the source code to your old version of RCS, you can increase the
hash table size and recompile.  But perhaps you should upgrade to RCS 5.5,
which is limited only by the amount of virtual memory available.  You can ftp
RCS 5.5's source code from cs.purdue.edu in pub/RCS/rcs.5_5.tar.Z; I built and
used it under IRIX 3.3 without a hitch.