Uncompressing large files

Steven C. Monroe scum at virtech.uucp
Sat Mar 16 00:13:04 AEST 1991

bhoughto at hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>In article <1991Mar13.083650.30 at edwards-saftd-2.af.mil> elston at edwards-saftd-2.af.mil writes:
>>I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
>>a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
>>utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking

>zcat < foo.Z > foo

I think that more along the lines the following are what you want to do:

zcat <gnu.c.tar.Z | tar xvf -

of course if the file was cpio or something else you would replace the
tar command with the inverse of how the file was made.  For example the
cpio version might be:

zcat <gnu.c.cpio.Z | cpio -icvBdum

or some such.

zcat means (almost) never having to say (you're) uncompress(ing)....

--
Steven C. Monroe           (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.,
uunet!virtech!scum                              46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160