If you could have anything in vi ...

Mark Dobie mrd at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 21:15:11 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar18.195343.665 at cs.widener.edu> brendan at cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

> I'm working on a "free" version of vi. It's to fully emulate the
>current Berkeley-derived versions. After that, it's prettymuch a
>free-for-all.
> So .. what would you have added to vi, if you could? What would you
>have made an option? What would you change?

Well, judging by what crops up in this group repeatedly you couldn't
go far wrong in providing,

1) A built in way of justifying text.
2) A more flexible way of editing several files and transferring
   between them. This could be as simple as a command to go to the
   previous file (this is provided in many ports) or maybe to select
   one from the list (:args style). Also, how about preserving the cut
   buffer between files? ... and the remembering the cursor position
   in the files too.

				Mark.