VI (can you fully justify test)

David W. Tamkin dattier at vpnet.chi.il.us
Tue Mar 12 15:53:37 AEST 1991

javey at hybrid.UUCP (shahram javey) wrote in <1991Mar10.215552.8366 at hybrid.UUCP>:

| Someone had asked how do you justify the text from within vi:

| If simple text formatting is sufficient for your needs try
| :%!fmt

fmt must be something in BSD Unix.  The question of justifying within vi
comes up often, and someone always says "Filter through fmt, that's all!"

Then someone else says, "There's no fmt on my system."  I've certainly never
found it anywhere I've had shell access.

(Actually, fmt, if it does what I think it does, will just reduce the
raggedness of the right edge; it won't right-justify text.  My personal
opinion is that ragged-right text is far easier to read, but that's another
matter.  Perhaps there are some command-line options to fmt that will make it
actually justify the right margin or, if that's what it does with no options
specified, there might be an option to have it produce output with a ragged
right margin as great as possible without exceeding a specified maximum.)

David Tamkin  PO Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  dattier at vpnet.chi.il.us
GEnie:D.W.TAMKIN  CIS:73720,1570  MCIMail:426-1818  708 518 6769  312 693 0591