ULIMIT flame

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat Mar 2 04:41:07 AEST 1991

Argh!!!!

We run a network containing a wide variety of UNIX systems, with perpetually
overflowing disks. If anyone is ever likely to be helped by ulimits, it'd
be us. I have yet to discover a single case where ulimit has saved us from
running out of disk space... on the contrary, it's been a perpetual pain.
We used to maintain "rational" ulimits, but now just max them out whenever
we run into one that's left over from the old days, or on a new system.

Is there anyone out there who has ever had cause to be thankful for ulimits?
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com