Uncompressing large files

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Sat Mar 16 10:44:47 AEST 1991

elston at edwards-saftd-2.af.mil writes:

>I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
>a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
>utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking
>at compress to find out if there is something I can do to modify it to work
>on large files but I haven't got the background in the algorithm to know what
>may safely be changed.

	Well, perhaps you should use the "standard" *compress utilities,
the source for which is widely available. I was recently tasked to bundle
and move some 11 MB of files down a packet switch link. The cpio archive
compressed down to 2.7 MB, and uncompressed without a hitch. Assuming the
bundle is in tar or cpio format, consider using zcat, piping the output
into the appropriate routine.