Can one access internet from a private residence?

Phil Roberts proberts at disk.uucp
Thu Mar 28 13:51:15 AEST 1991

esl1_ltd at uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Eric Lambert) writes:

>I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

>I'm wondering if there is any way that someone who lives in a private
>residence (i.e. not a university or business linked into the internet)
>can get an account so to be able to access internet.  Is there a company
>that you can subscribe to?  The ideal thing, I would think, would be a
>service to which you pay a monthly fee and they give you an 800 number
>which you can dial up with your modem which will get you into an
>internet-linked system.  I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it would
>be in the New York City tri-state area.  If anyone has any information,
>please email me.  Thanks in advance...

> =-= Eric (esl1_ltd at uhura.cc.rochester.edu) =-=

Eric,

There are "public" subscritption services that allow Internet access.  I
use one here in Louisville, KY called Digital Information Systems of
Kentucky (DISK).  I call a local number from my home.  Not being from
NYC, I can't tell you where to locate a similar service there but I'm
sure there would be some in an area that size.  Maybe someone from NYC
can give you a local service's number.

Hope this helps.

Phil