VPIX compatability questions

mike at bria mike at bria
Mon Jan 28 06:51:47 AEST 1991

In article <868 at csource.oz.au> csource.oz.au!david (david nugent) writes:
|| Yes, and it depends on what context.  If you're a DOS program and you
|| want to determine if you're in a VP/ix environment, just have that
|| program try to create a temporary file on the C: disk.  Since VP/ix
|| requires that pseudo-disk to be read-only (if you're going to boot from
|| it) then the create will succeed under real DOS, and fail under VP/ix.
|
|No, there is no such requirement.  Certainly the C: drive I run VP/ix
|from is not read only.

That is true, if only one vpix process is "booted" from that pseudo-drive.
Multiple sessions under VP/ix preclude write access except for the *first*
session.  Essentially, what you're pointing out *is* correct ... It's not
a terrbily good solution.

However, another solution would be to look for "strange" filenames
that you would expect to find under VP/ix, but not DOS (such as something
like Z:\ETC\ENVIR~~A or whatever) since VP/ix collapses long filenames
using some arcane method that I'm not bothering to lookup at this
moment.

Disclamer: What's arcane for me may be perfectly normal for you.

|I'm sure there must be a simple way of doing this.  Some of the DOS
|programs supplied with VP/ix use a number of pseudo I/O ports to
|communicate with vpix itself, such as "rundos" and "rununix".
|Obviously there isn't a documented way though.

True 'nuff.
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike