transferring large files from Unix to DOS on diskettes, How?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Thu Jun 20 02:17:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.153929.12438 at infonode.ingr.com> of comp.unix.msdos,
  richard at xanth.b11.ingr.com writes:
> The mtools utilities work fine as long as the file fits on a single diskette. I understand DOS copy has the same limitation, but we have customers that create multi-megabyte files then want to transfer by diskette to a DOS machine. Is there any public domain utilities that can handle this?  Maybe a DOS version of cpio perhaps.

  If you copy your file to the hard disk of a DOS machine you can used
SLICE to hack it onto a limitless number of floppies. SLICE automatically
creates a program called SPLICE.COM which when run on a DOS machine
recreates the original file.

If what you need is a UNIX utility that does the same thing, I could try to
port it for you.  It should be a simple thing to do.

	/Peter
--
MAIL: hpa at casbah.acns.nwu.edu   (hpa at nwu.edu after this summer)
"finger" the address above for more information.