using dos diskettes on a sun(unix)

Gene Saunders saunders at gesundheit.West.Sun.COM
Sun Jun 16 17:43:45 AEST 1991

In article <16509 at life.ai.mit.edu> stokes at churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Perry Stokes) writes:
>In article <MATELGAR.91Jun14131800 at dante.nmsu.edu> matelgar at nmsu.edu (Marek Telgarsky) writes:
>>
>>	I would like to be able manipulate files on a DOS diskette
>>while sitting at a SUN4. There is incompatibility with the file
>>allocator that unix uses with the one that dos does. Does anyone have
>>that type of a program, know of a site of where to find one, or has enough
>>information to program one (in C)? It is possible to read the blocks
>>on a dos diskette on a sun4, but it is straight reading and no
>>interpretation by the system. Hence, there is no way to seperate files
>>or to see whether there are different files. Any help would be
>>appreciated.
>
>Have you looked at mtools?
>
>It's a set of programs for reading/writing/creating MS DOS filesystems
>on the 3.5" disk drive on a sun4.

I tried emailing directly to stokes at churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu, but that bouunced,
hence the post to the net.

SunOS (at least the current SunOS 4.1.1-B revision - I think it started
in SunOS 4.1) includes support for PC-formatted floppies.  Run a man
page on "pcfs" (PC filesystem) and you'll see what you're after.
Basically, you mount the floppy disc onto Unix:

	# mount -t pcfs /dev/fd0 /pcfs

and then you can "cp", "mv", etc files from Unix onto that floppy.
Unix filenames are mapped into the DOS 8+3 format (longfilename.wk3
becomes longfile.wk3, for example).  I use this all the time when
moving stuff from PCs onto my SPARCstation1+ at work .. and mtools is
no longer needed.

--
Gene Saunders	 | gene.saunders at West.Sun.COM | Save a tree; use AnswerBook.
Sun Microsystems | ..!uunet!sun!gsaunders     |