Problems with SimulTask 386 and MS-Kermit 3.1

Paul S Secinaro pss1 at kepler.unh.edu
Mon Jun 24 01:37:20 AEST 1991

I'm using AT&T SimulTask 386 version 2.0 (which is actually VP/ix 1.something)
on an AT&T SVR3.2.1 system.  I'm having a problem with MS-Kermit 3.1

When I run Kermit, with Simultask set up to allow access to the COM2 port, I
get the error message:

?Warning: no harware for this serial port
?This port will be operated through the Bios as BIOS2

In other words, Kermit has decided it will communicate with COM2 using only
standard Bios calls.  The problem is, when I go into terminal mode, the screen
just starts filling with the character "2".  The program doesn't crash - I can
exit terminal mode and mess with the comm parameters, etc.  It's as if Kermit
thinks it's receiving a steady stream of "2"'s from the COM port.  I've tried
resetting Kermit to use the hardware ports, but it just gives the above error
message again.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I also use Telix 3.12, and have had no problems
at all, but I prefer MS-Kermit as it has superior terminal emulation and
a better implementation of the Kermit protocol.
Thanks,
Paul Secinaro

--
Paul Secinaro