Are there any BSD-derived UNIX versions for 386's?

Dag Erik Lindberg del at fnx.UUCP
Sat Jun 1 06:56:36 AEST 1991

In article <756 at wrdis01.af.mil> jshumate at wrdis01.af.mil ( Shumate Jason) writes:
>imply that BSD 386 UNIX is a finished product.  My organization might be
>interested in getting BSD 386 UNIX, but who do we contact?  Out of
>desperation, I tried sending email to one of the authors, but no response yet.
>I would suggest that if the good folks at Berkeley are serious about getting
>people to use their product, they might make it known how to get it.  We'll
>probably get SCO UNIX now, so Berkeley lost a potential sale.

All this stuff about 386 BSD was covered in comp.unix.sysv386 not too long
ago.  The bottom line is this:

- Berkeley doesn't make any money on the product, so they don't really
  care *what* unix you run.
- The authors are busy with stuff they consider important, and don't
  really care to answer most of the external email they receive.
- 386 BSD is available in source form only.  Furthermore, it is not
  a complete distribution, i.e. you must already have an AT&T source
  license in order to build 386BSD.  For those of you that are wondering
  what that costs, source licenses *start* at about $70,000.00.

If you are still interested in pursuing 386BSD, get your source license
in order, *then* send email to the authors telling them you have the
source license and who should you contact to proceed.  Allow 6-8 weeks
for delivery...

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?