msdos and serial ports

Jeffrey P. Bakke bakke at plains.NoDak.edu
Mon Mar 25 00:36:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar21.143019.28770 at decuac.dec.com> jeff at artud2.del.dec.com (Jeff Finkelstein) writes:
> I've been trying to write a terminal emulator for msdos pc's (strictly for fun),
> and have run into a problem with the serial ports and trying to drive them at
> anything above 1200 baud. Does anyone have any example code or code fragments
> that can point me in the right direction?

Well, I recently had to write a program for work to send and receive files
from an Antique NCR Criterion running VRX (Can you say we still use a card
reader and disc packs).  Anyway, there are a number of fairly simple
example and source code distributions out there at ftp land.  You can
probably easily go to wuarchive.wustl.edu in the /mirrors/msdos/comm or
turbo-c directory.  (I assume you're in C?).  Poke around there and you'll
find various levels of comm packages from simple ASM level interrupt
functions to C level Vt-100 emulator.

At work I finally went with and used an package called Ctask 2.2 (in the
C directory).  Its a multitasking kernel for C programs but it has built
in serial and parallel port routines.  Serial IO up to 38K I believe.
And it is Public Domain, not copyrighted (big plus since I work for a
commericial enterprise).

Anyway, if you need more help tracking any of this down, let me know.

--
Jeffrey P. Bakke       bakke at plains.NoDak.edu
(...other idiot methods...)
  UUCP : ...!uunet!plains!bakke    BITNET : bakke at plains.bitnet