ndbm won't cut it, what now?

Paul Lindner lindner at cs.umn.edu
Sun Nov 11 22:11:18 AEST 1990

Does anyone know of any public domain code for doing relational database
stuff.  Basically my requirements are variable length records,
searching on different keys in the database, and multiple concurrent
accesses to the same database.  My prototype just used
a directory structure and ascii files.  But I now need better
performance and the ability to search on multiple fields.  I've looked
at the dbm and ndbm libraries and found them to be lacking.
(i.e. poor multi-user access, only one key per database and the limit
on record size).  I imagine I could do like NIS aka YP and have
multiple database files but I would really rather not.  Also I don't want
to have to use ingres, sysbase or any other large database.  I want
my code to be standalone and free of any legal entanglements.

So basically if you've got some database code lying around that you'd
like to share, by all means let me know!  Otherwise I'd appreciate any
references to a practical text on databases.

Thanks!

--
Paul Lindner, Univ. of MN   \ Microcomputer /  Pauls Law: You can't
IT Sun dude, & UofM ACM pres \ Workstation / fall off the floor.