Why use U* over VMS

Robert Lupton the Good rhl at astro.Princeton.EDU
Thu Nov 1 14:14:03 AEST 1990

Before you all move over to VMS, happy in the knowledge that it supports
stream linefeed (unix-style) files, beware that the C rtl implementation
of read/write/open/close that works with them is glacially slow. Too slow
to be used (at least for the sort of image processing that I was doing).

I'm supposed to say that this is my humble opinion, which it is. But my
hatred of the VaxMonSter isn't just an opinion, it's the way I am.  Sorry.

					Robert