Reading BIOS on PC under UNIX ??

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.WESTMARK.COM
Fri Nov 2 15:16:18 AEST 1990

In article <2758 at laura.UUCP>, lengewit at ludger.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Lengewitz) writes:
> Does someone know if and how it is possible to access the contents of
> the BIOS of a PC'386 via C program under UNIX (Interactive UNIX and
> SCO UNIX)?

I haven't tried this, but I would expect that you could look at the
special file /dev/mem arount location 0xf0000 or so.  The program
which does this needs to be executed by root, or be set-uid root.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave at westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857