make with multiple executables from same source files

G. Paul Ziemba gpz at ESD.3Com.COM
Fri Nov 16 11:39:08 AEST 1990

mpreen at hemel.bull.co.uk (Malcolm Preen) writes:
>gpz at ESD.3Com.COM (G. Paul Ziemba) writes:

>>source1.def1.o:	source1.c
>>	${CC} -o source1.def1.o -DDEF1 -c $?

>On our system, a Bull DPX/2-340, the man page says that -o is passed to ld(1)
>and this is the case when trying it. All the people I have spoken to agree
>that this is what is supposed to happen in Unix C.

Surprise, all Unixes are not alike.

It just so happens that I have a Bull DPX/2 with manuals at my
disposal, and they confirm what Mr. Preen says. I can not
determine a way to cause cc to rename the .o file.

On other Unixes I have used (BSD, Sun, Xinu), -o does in fact
specify the name of the output file regardless of the particular
compilation step being performed.

OS-dependent compiler flags are one of life's little joys
for me as a programmer attempting to build software on an
array of different platforms. I will abstain from comment
on what the "correct" cc argument syntax/semantics should
be.

 ~!paul
--
Paul Ziemba  api!gpz  gpz at ESD.3com.com  408.764.5390   OS/2: just say no.

"How much char could a char star star if char star could star char?"
(quote stolen from mspercy at clemson.clemson.edu)