Makefiles -- .c and .h

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Wed Nov 21 04:05:55 AEST 1990

In article <4455 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

| >  How does the SunOs make figure out which files were included by each source
| >file?  Does it do a "cc -E" on the source file, or something similar?
|
| "Something similar".  Basically, it provokes the compiler into producing
| a dependency list as it compiles.

I added this type of functionality to GCC's cpp.  I added a new switch
-MD, which runs the compile as normal, but places the dependency list
for foo.c into foo.d in the current directory (CMU had done a similar
thing previously).  Part of the OSF/1 build process uses this and
automatically updates the Makefiles.  It was fairly simple to do
providing you have source to the compiler (or a tame compiler wizard
on hand)....
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?