The answer to make with multiple executables from same source files

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Wed Nov 14 09:12:51 AEST 1990

I wrote
>I have two executables that depend on the same source files but are
>compiled with different CFLAGS.  Anybody have a good way to make a
>makefile understand this?

Well, I got it figured out.  Below I have included a makefile for
two hypothetical executables that use the same .c's.  A fringe
benefit is that even if you only have one executable, using this
style of make file will allow you to remove all the .o's and it
still won't recompile anything unless a .c or .h changed.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif at doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

# This is a really bizarre makefile that allows two executables to be made
# from one set of source.  In this example, the exe's are to be compiled
# with slightly different compile lines and libraries.  This should handle
# all manner of interrupted and restarted compiles.

OBJ	= obj1.o obj2.o obj3.o
HFILES	= local1.h local2.h
CFLAGS	= -O $(NAME)
LDFLAGS	= $(OTHER_LIB)

# by default, make both executables
all:	exe1 exe2

clean:
	rm -f *.o making.exe1 making.exe2

# This will prevent recompilation if everything is
# up to date even if no .o's are around.
exe1:	$(OBJ:.o=.c) exe1.c $(HFILES)
	if test ! -f making.exe1;then make clean;fi
	touch making.exe1
	$(MAKE) NAME=-DEXE1 OTHER_LIB=-lx exe1.make

exe1.make:	$(OBJ) exe1.o
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(OBJ) exe1.o $(LDFLAGS) -o exe1

# This will prevent recompilation if everything is
# up to date even if no .o's are around.
exe2:	$(OBJ:.o=.c) exe2.c $(HFILES)
	if test ! -f making.exe2;then make clean;fi
	touch making.exe2
	$(MAKE) NAME=-DEXE2 exe2.make

exe2.make:	$(OBJ) exe2.o
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(OBJ) exe2.o $(LDFLAGS) -o exe2