VAX/VMS (Was Why use U*)

Donald Lewine lewine at dg-rtp.dg.com
Thu Nov 1 01:36:51 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct31.002249.17256 at ccad.uiowa.edu>,
emcguire at ccad.uiowa.edu (Ed McGuire) writes:
|> This is pretty misleading.  UNIX was originally developed for the
|> PDP-7, not the VAX-11.
|>
|> VMS was designed for and around the VAX-11.

To be completely fair, VMS and VAX-11 were designed together.  The
VAX memory management hardware was designed to do exactly what
Dick Hustvedt wanted for VMS.  The AST mechanism was designed in
parallel with the 780 hardware and was changed several times
during the design process.

VMS is so tightly connected to the VAX architecture that I can not
picture it being ported to a machine very different from a VAX. In
fact, it was very difficult getting it ported to MicroVAX, but that
was political in addition to technical.

Donald A. Lewine                (508) 870-9008 Voice
Data General Corporation        (508) 366-0750 FAX
4400 Computer Drive. MS D112A
Westboro, MA 01580  U.S.A.

uucp: uunet!dg!lewine   Internet: lewine at cheshirecat.webo.dg.com