Setting RS232 port to 8 bits on Tektronix 4301 (mod 4.2 BSD)

David Burren [Athos] s872007 at otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
Fri Nov 16 02:45:24 AEST 1990

In <1990Nov14.214019.25745 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> jeff at theory.tn.cornell.edu (Jeff Miller) writes:

>Using a VT340 terminal I have sent commands to the recorder
>through the RS232 successfully, using 8 bit, even parity mode.  However,
>the Tektronix is sending out 7 bit bytes.  I have been researching ioctl
>commands to change the port to sending 8 bits, but have not had any luck.

>Please e-mail responses to jeff at theory.tn.cornell.edu.  Thanks.

I'd be interested to see any responses summarized to the net, as I've recently
hit the same problem.
Some Motorola radio equipment I have to interface to uses 8 data bits and
even parity, and I could not convince my Sony 1750 to talk to it.
In the system installation the Motorola equipment will be connected via a
Xylogics Annex, and I've managed to get the Annex to talk 8E1, so my problem
is solved for now.
But as far as I could see there was no way to get the Sony (it's Unix is what
I'd call a Sony port of 4.3BSD-Tahoe) to talk 8E1.  8N1 or 7E1 yes, 8E1 no.
David Burren (Wookie Athos)	      Work:   david at bacchus.esa.oz.au
Software Development Engineer	      Home:   athos%eyrie at labtam.oz.au
Expert Solutions Australia	      School: s872007 at otto.rmit.oz.au