Determining if an existant file is open

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Wed Nov 28 10:22:43 AEST 1990

afsipmh at cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:

> You are only partly right since you can't use extant in the context of
> "if an extant...". Therefore the word is:
>	   existing

Huh?  In my dictionary, "extant" is billed as an adjective.  Since it is
modifying the noun "file", you should be able to use it in this context.
Substitute another adjective, like "huge" or "red":

	if a huge file is open
	if a red file is open
	if an extant file is open

Same thing.

derek
--
Derek Terveer						det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association,  North Central Section