Looking for UNIX CASE (Comp.Aided.Software.Engineering) tools

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Fri Nov 9 11:53:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov08.230633.3098 at litwin.com> vlr at litwin.com (Vic Rice) writes:

>I would like hear about any CASE tools for DEC Ultrix boxes. Specifically,
>we have a DECStation 5000 (as of yesterday). We are looking at starting
>a development project which will involve 3-5 programmers on a medium sized
>MOTIF application.

	I assume you mean C language, then ? With 3-5 programmers you probably
won't need something "industrial strength" to handle revisions, regression,
and so on, and can probably (unless you hate them) get by with (free) UNIX
tools like rcs for revision control and cake to control compilation. You might
not even need something like cake if all you're targeting is DS5000s. There
are some things in field test right now (VUIT) that are designed to allow
WYSIWYG window design and layout. There are some interesting things in the
works in the way of compilers and integrated editor/debugger/compilers but
you'll have to get a non-disclosure for those. Right now there are some
excellent 3rd party integrated editor/debugger/compilers such as Saber-C
(which is #1 on my programmer "must have" list). Medium-sized to me doesn't
imply all that formal design methodology hoo-haw is necessary (just a good
design) :) but there are offerings like IDE to cover that.

	Bug your account rep for more information!

mjr.