Curses escape delay

John Alsop jalsop at seachg.uucp
Tue Nov 6 01:26:31 AEST 1990

In article <557 at hafro.is> heimir at hafro.is (Heimir Sverrisson) writes:
:Hi,
:
:I'm having trouble with sending escape sequences over a SL/IP connection
:to a remote application running on a Sun 4 with SunOS 4.1.  ...
:
:When I'm connected remotely, my host tends to send the escape sequences as
:separate packets for each character.  This causes delay on the other end
:long enough for curses to time out and consider the Esc as a separate
:entity. I've tried to ungetch() the Esc but that does not help!
:Btw the connection is on 19200 baud and the network is not loaded.
:
:There are at least three solutions to this problem:
:
:  [stuff deleted]

I ran into a similar problem using ACCELL/UNIFY over a local network.

As a quick solution, I wrote a small filter to run on the target host which
copied input characters until it saw the start of an escape sequence. It
then waited until the rest of the sequence had arrived, before passing the
full sequence as a single write.  Ugly, but did the job.
--
John Alsop

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8