Cross-Compile Xenix on ISC?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Feb 19 05:06:38 AEST 1991

Bron at cup.portal.com (George Bron Faison) writes:

>Is it possible (and what's involved) to compile Xenix binaries on
>an Interactive UNIX system.  Since ISC seems to run most Xenix
>software OK, can one just buy the Xenix development stuff and run it under
>ISC?

	Since you already have ISC, I would suggest instead that you go
with ISC's Development System. I've had numerous programs "break" under
SCO Xenix/386 SDS (ksh-i for one) which ISC handles without problem. ISC
includes a number of advanced facilities (like ETI, a superset of curses,
and cscope). The compilers further carry assumptions about kernel structures,
filesystems, etc. that may not hold for the two environments, and indeed
the two split their include files differently between Runtime and SDS.

	The one advantage of the Xenix SDS is the option to create DOS
binaries. Our own attempts to create such binaries from non-trivial source
have had limited success. Tests on Xenix/386 systems running 2.3.1+, which
I hope are those you will be using, show success running ISC binaries.

	Finally, unless recent info has changed ISC's SDS is cheaper than
SCO's. We do ISV work here using the two packages and are not beholden to
either vendor.