Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 01:34:00 AEST 1991

chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

> According to sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
> >And, yeah, there have been times when I would have liked to have seen
> >a "round" file (i.e., wrapping around the end).
>
> So create a circular file subroutine library that looks at the top of
> the file for "maxsize,curpos\n".  We use one here; it's very handy,

Yes, but then you gotta teach all the standard utilities to use your routines
before you can use them on those files.  Same kind of argument as Darren New's
about not having a standard kind of keyed file  and access method -- the
structure is "private" to programs written at TCT.

There are good arguments for adding "commercial" OS features to UNIX
if you're going to use UNIX as a commercial OS.  Balancing the arguments
for and against is not as clear-cut when you don't look at it from
any one standpoint.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)