Life Under Curses

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Tue Feb 26 15:19:22 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Feb18.215907.18174 at jwt.UUCP> by john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples):
+---------------
| In article <464 at bria> uunet!bria!mike writes:
| >Use touchwin(win) and then wrefresh(win); if for some reason your
| >curses library doesn't have 'em, then you can do something like this:
|
| touchwin() didn't seem to do anything at all on my SVR3.2 system when I was
| trying to figure out how to do a complete screen redraw.  I ended up doing
| { endwin(); doupdate(); }  That got all windows redrawn.

All touchwin does is disable some optimization, so wnoutrefresh() has to do
more work to figure out what actually changed.  It doesn't actually force
curses to believe that things *did* change.  This is needed because some
things (subwindows?) can cause things to change without telling the right
parts of curses, so wnoutrefresh() doesn't notice.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN