daemon help

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Thu Feb 7 18:25:40 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein):
:That's a good point (see, you can tell the "wizards", they're the ones
:willing to admit they may be wrong...:-)

A true wizard is one whom only others refer to as such.  This is not
a perfect test, as a few ringers will slip in, but so it goes. The price
of knowledge is learning how little of it you yourself harbor.

:Looks like we need another option to ps...to increase clock res.
:Seriously, grokking around in the kernel proc structures tends to be
:fraught with peril unless you're really pre-disposed to that sort of
:thing.

To truly get good accurate kernel stats, you need to lock the proc table,
and I doubt you really want to pay to do that.

I think on a Convex, at least, I could do without kernel changes it if
wanted to badly enough:  I'd map in kernel memory, then jack my priority
up into the fixed scheduling range (like nice -64) such that I would run
until I surrendered the CPU, then run through the table grabbing what I
needed.

I don't really suggest this.  It's probably not worth it.  Should your
whole system wait just so you can get a better snapshot of the proc
table?

--tom
--
	     "All things are possible, but not all expedient."
	  (stolen out of context from Paul and reapplied to UNIX)