-x implementations

Maarten Litmaath maart at cs.vu.nl
Sat Feb 2 06:20:25 AEST 1991

In article <19017 at rpp386.cactus.org>,
	jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
)[...]
)>Access(2), a sick system call.  (I _know_ it uses the real uid on
)>purpose.)
)
)The question test(1) is asking is wrong.  test is supposed to return
)whether or not it =is= readable, not whether it =should= be readable.
)
)test(1) is the sick on.  Any version of test(1) which relies on
)access(2) is broken.

Agreed.  I guess many if not most implementations of test(1) are broken
in this way.

BTW, access(2) still hasn't recovered from its illness.

The last thing it wishes to achieve before it dies, is to enter the
Guinness Book of World Records as the system call that received the
most complaints.
--
Temporary files like /tmp/sh$$ are an abomination.