How do you ask a terminal what it is?

Wed Jan 23 12:52:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan20.042402.24635 at opusc.csd.scarolina.edu>, opusc.csd.scarolina.edu!jwwalker (Jim Walker) writes:

> I'm a UNIX novice, though not a programming novice, and I'm
> trying to figure out how a program can determine whether a DEC
> terminal is capable of ReGIS graphics. [...]
> [ program example deleted  ... ]

This is because using the standard functions, i/o is buffered and no
doubt that your terminal in canonical mode instead of cbreak mode.

As for a better solution, why not simply make a termcap (or terminfo)
defintion for a terminal type 'regis'.  Then, all you need is something
as simple as:

	if ( strcmp(getenv("TERM"),"regis") == 0 ) {
		/* then I have this terminal type */
		}
	else
		{
		/* whatever */
		}

If you want some more specific help, then send me email.
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike