save and regerate the current screen before and after a command

Clifford C. Skolnick cliffs at playroom.East.Sun.COM
Fri Jan 4 09:48:10 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan3.164022.9108 at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu> ping at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Shiping Zhang) writes:
+Sorry I did not state my question clearly. I want to save the screen of
+a regular tty terminal, not a workstation. The command screendump does
+not work on such terminal. I don't know if the system keeps a similar
+frame buffer for such a terminal, or if there is a way to directly
+"read" or scan the screen. On an IBM pc, the print/screen key let you
+print whatever on the screen. I'm wondering if there is a similar
+function or routine in UNIX, but instead of being sent to the printer,
+the output is sent to a file or allocated memory.  Thanks.
+
UNIX does nothing of the sort, but perhaps your terminal may support
multiple screens.  Certain escapes code will switch the terminal between
the screens.  I wrote a program that did this with a wyse terminal many
moons ago.
To the person who suggested curses, it does not read the screen as the
program invokes.  Curses will only know about what curses wrote to the
screen.

--
Cliff Skolnick | "It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to
cliffs at sun.com | give up.  But why should I give up, when it all