broadcast sockets

Andrew Zahra Telecom zahra at wolfen.cc.uow.oz
Fri Jan 18 17:22:05 AEST 1991

I am trying to write a program which will be able to broadcast messages to all
other machines on the local network. I am using a datagram socket and have not
had much success with various combinations of setting socket options
(SO_BROADCAST) and doing a connect to INADDR_BROADCAST. I either get a network
unreachable error or an error from the bind indicating it can't allocate the
requested address.

If anyone has a minimal code example of how to do this it would be very welcome
and may stop me tearing my hair out.

	Thanks in advance,
			Andrew

Andrew Zahra				AARNet zahra at wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au